Manager, Accounting PolicyJob ID: 2021-38967 Panama City, Panama; Panama City, Florida Category: Finance
Our success depends on our people. What connects us, unites us and makes us ‘us’ is the passion and pride we have for creating moments that matter for our customers. So, wherever you choose to start your career at Liberty Latin America, we’re all guided by a shared vision, philosophy and principles that enable us to bring our culture to life. We do it the best and we do it with spirit.
- Risk taking We’re empowered to take risks for our customers and each other. Making mistakes is OK.
- Respectful We treat others like we want to be treated. It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.
- Honest We’re honest with others but, more importantly, we are honest with ourselves.
- Hardworking We work hard for our customers, colleagues and investors.
- Disciplined We’re consistent and we measure our performance. Commitments matter to us.
What I love about our culture is the opportunities we create for our employees to grow their careers with us and the passion we have for growth. I love seeing people stretch and challenge themselves, working outside of their comfort zone and flourishing as a result. Doing great things for their self development, their families, our business and our customers.Kerry Scott, Chief People Officer
What's the role:
The Manager, Accounting Policy is responsible for monitoring and compliance of LLA accounting policies. Will be reporting to the LLA/CWC Director of Accounting Policy (with a strong indirect reporting relationship to the LLA Global Director of Accounting Policy).
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelors and/or graduate degree in accountancy from an internationally accredited university
- Professional accounting or auditing certification – Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Accountant, or local equivalent
- 5-9 years of professional experience in the international accounting environment
- Minimum 5 years as external auditor at a large international accounting firm
- Attained at least the “manager” or “supervising senior” auditor designation, or equivalent. Multi-location audit experience
- Direct experience with publicly traded companies applying US GAAP (ideally) and/or IFRS
- Effective oral and written communication skills with professional level fluency in English and Spanish.
- Pragmatic problem-solving skills
- Willingness to work overtime and manage projects to strict deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and financial modelling
- Extensive audit experience with US GAAP clients, reporting to a US accounting firm
- Experience with PCAOB audit standards and/or SOX internal control standards
- English-speaking environment for native Spanish speakers
- Spanish-speaking environment for native English speakers
- Previous experience with Hyperion Financial Manager (HFM) consolidation system
- Previous experience with SAP enterprise reporting or other ERP system.
Who We Are
We are the leading telecommunications company, connecting more than 40 markets in Latin America and the Caribbean with our video, broadband internet, telephony, and mobile services under the consumer brands VTR, Flow, Liberty, Más Móvil, BTC, and Cabletica. We started small, and now we’re growing. We’re excited about the future as we strive to unlock opportunities in the region.
Why join us
Technology excites us enables us and drives us. We´re proud of the services we provide, the markets that we serve, and our people coming together to enhance our customers´ lives with technology so that they can connect, work, live and play without missing beat. Throughout Liberty Latin America, our passion and pride are brought to life through our shared vision to bring innovation that will create moments that matter to our customers, delivering growth in our markets with one vision, one culture, and one team.
Liberty Latin America provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, citizenship, disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital or domestic partner status, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, and/or local laws.
What you'll do:
Technical Accounting Oversight of Local Entities
- Routine oversight of technical accounting issues across LLA’s locations, serving as a first-line point of contact for US GAAP and IFRS accounting policy topics
- Provide US GAAP training seminars for accounting and finance teams, including the review and/or preparation of training materials.
- Research and prepare accounting issue memoranda (position papers)
- Support implementation of new accounting and reporting requirements
- Schedule and lead periodic Accounting Issues Calls with designated entities
Accounting for Complex Transactions (Mergers & Acquisitions, Divestments, Impairments, etc)
- Lead preparation of financial models to support accounting valuations for acquisitions, goodwill, receivables, investments, and similar accounts
- Perform, or supervise external consultants performing, procedures required for valuation of acquisitions and other complex transactions.
- Support accounting policy transition for newly acquired entities
Manage Core Accounting Policy Activities
- Complete and document SOX control procedures.
- Coordinate review of corporate accounting issues with the external auditors and ensure that all accounting issues addressed with the auditors are appropriately resolved with assistance from the accounting policy directors.
- Timely communication of key issues and decisions with the LLA Global Director of Accounting Policy,
- CWC Director of Accounting Policy, LLA Chief Accounting Officer, and various segment/entity chief financial officers, including formal updates through the Accounting Issues Meetings and/or Disclosure Meetings.
- Assistance with maintenance and drafting of the Liberty Latin America Accounting Manual.
- Support LLA Procurement by review and approval of accounting treatment for specified contract types
- Identify, design and implement improvements in LLA Accounting Policy’s processes, including all the activities above.