SOX Senior ManagerJob ID: 2021-39008 San Juan, Puerto Rico Category: Finance
Our success depends on our people. What connects us, unites us and makes us ‘us’ is the passion and pride we have for creating moments that matter for our customers. So, wherever you choose to start your career at Liberty Latin America, we’re all guided by a shared vision, philosophy and principles that enable us to bring our culture to life. We do it the best and we do it with spirit.
- Risk taking We’re empowered to take risks for our customers and each other. Making mistakes is OK.
- Respectful We treat others like we want to be treated. It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.
- Honest We’re honest with others but, more importantly, we are honest with ourselves.
- Hardworking We work hard for our customers, colleagues and investors.
- Disciplined We’re consistent and we measure our performance. Commitments matter to us.
What I love about our culture is the opportunities we create for our employees to grow their careers with us and the passion we have for growth. I love seeing people stretch and challenge themselves, working outside of their comfort zone and flourishing as a result. Doing great things for their self development, their families, our business and our customers.Kerry Scott, Chief People Officer
The SOX team is responsible for coordinating, testing and guiding all compliance related activities within the LLA in-scope group locations in accordance with the US Sarbanes Oxley (“SOX”) 2002 Act.
The primary purpose of the SOX Sr. Manager position is to support the LLA SOX process at LCPR and certain other locations, as requested, in the collection, analysis, documentation, and consolidation of SOX compliance related data for management reporting purposes in order to comply with the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation, as well as undertaking design and operating effectiveness testing in support of management’s overall assessment. Specifically, this will entail:
- As part of the LLA SOX team, the Sr. Manager position is an important role that requires pro-actively engaging with business unit management and process owners, embedding understanding of required internal control design, documentation requirements, testing and remediation activities.
- Working with LLA and LCPR management teams and control owners to identify and document key processes and controls for management’s Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICOFR) evaluation and where appropriate disclosure controls.
- Adhering to and supporting the overall LLA SOX processes, which includes timely reporting of deliverables
- Supporting any internal SOX-related applications/databases (e.g. WDesk) with data load and user administration tasks.
- The SOX Sr. Manager is responsible for developing, guiding and supporting direct reports, if any, and any outsourced staffing within the team.
- A key Sr. Manager task is to test the design and operational effectiveness of controls, perform process walk-throughs as required for SOX purposes and assist with internal audits at the direction of LLA Group Internal Audit and SOX team as requested.
The role may require traveling to other LLA entities and this, combined with the SOX testing requirements of the role, may require a certain amount of travel to other locations. The amount of travel will be based on need and may be subject to change.
Preferred education/ qualifications:
- University degree, preferably in Accounting or Business-related disciplines
- Professionally qualified, ideally a qualified accountant or internal auditor (e.g. CPA, CIA, CISA, etc.)
Knowledge & Experience:
- Working knowledge of US GAAP, SOX 404, the COSO 2013 Framework, and PCAOB internal control audit requirements
- Extensive experience flowcharting processes (VISIO) and be able to not only prepare flowcharts and RCMs but be able to review direct reports, team members and outsourced staff work and provide feedback
- Extensive experience identifying and documenting existing controls, identifying control gaps, and testing the design of controls. Must be able to review outsourced and other team members work and provide feedback
- Must have working knowledge of general information technology controls (“GITCs”) and be able to analyze and understand the impact of GITCs and any deficiencies on the internal control environment
- Working knowledge and ability to guide management in setting precision and designing and testing completeness and accuracy procedures around information produced by the entity for all internal control areas
- Extensive experience designing test plans, testing and concluding on the operating effectiveness controls (this role will be expected to perform these procedures and review the work performed by direct reports, team members and outsourced staff)
- Extensive experience documenting and evaluating deficiencies and assisting management with designing remediation plans
- Extensive project management experience
- Experience leading teams, mentoring, training and guiding direct reports
- Working knowledge and understanding of US-GAAP
- Knowledge of audit techniques and test approaches
- Knowledge of project management methodologies; advantageous but not essential
- Spoken and written Spanish is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to understand and summarize complex information
- Proactive and result oriented
- Able to plan and manage own workload including delivery to deadlines, budgets and quality standards
- Customer oriented with a positive, enthusiastic attitude
- Attention to detail – ensures that information is correctly processed and that own work and that of direct reports or colleagues, complies with relevant internal/external guidance, procedures and regulatory requirements; checks work and corrects mistakes promptly
- Minimum 7 - 8 years of relevant experience with financial, operational and/or IT audit, including a minimum of 2 years post qualification experience
- Public Accounting experience preferred
- Minimum 4 years of team management experience
- Experience of dealing with senior management in organizations particularly Finance, Legal, IT and HR.
Liberty Puerto Rico provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, social status, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, military service obligation, disability status, genetic information, political affiliation, and being or being perceived as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking. In addition to federal law requirements, Liberty aligns with applicable local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Assessment, background check and drug test will be required to successful candidate.
If you believe you have been discriminated against you may notify the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, or other appropriate agency.
The SOX Sr. Manager is accountable for:
- Ensuring key deliverables (e.g. control documentation [Flowcharts, Risk and Control Matrix (RCM)], control testing, evaluation of testing results, other items as requested, etc.) adhere to internal quality standards of LLA, and where necessary, develop and deliver related deliverables on behalf of the LLA Internal Audit and SOX function
- Reviewing and documenting control processes in flowcharts
- Identifying, reviewing and documenting the process level risks
- Identifying, reviewing and documenting controls that mitigate the identified risks,
- Reviewing and performing tests of design (TOD)
- Reviewing and performing tests of operating effectiveness (TOE) (including designing test plans)
- Identifying and document control deficiencies (in English)
- Evaluating the effectiveness of LLA’s overall internal controls over financial reporting
- Evaluating and conclude on the severity of the identified deficiencies (individually and in the aggregate)
- Assisting control owners in designing remediation plans
- Providing control owners ongoing guidance for proper evidence of control performance and process improvements and SOX 404 matters
- Acting as a coach and a mentor to team members and outsourced staffing
- Building effective working relationships with other departments (e.g. Compliance & Ethics, Financial Reporting, Treasury etc.)
- Communicating timely and clearly to LLA Internal Audit and SOX Sr. Director, LLA SOX Director and management progress, issues, deficiencies and other matters as deemed appropriate
- Participating in ad-hoc projects (e.g. “year 1” acquisitions), due diligence or other activities per request but only upon approval of the LLA Internal Audit and SOX Sr. Director